One percent might not sound like a lot but when you start looking at your marketing from an inbound marketer’s perspective you see it’s a huge number.
Here is an example: If your website is getting 1,000 visitors a month and your home page conversion rate is 1% then you are currently receiving 10 leads a month.
If you are closing just 10% of your leads and your average revenue per sale is $10,000 then you are currently getting $120,000 in revenue per year from your marketing efforts.
Now raise your 1% conversion rate to 2% and watch your new business revenue double from $120,000 a year to $240,000 a year. You didn’t increase website traffic. You didn’t increase your advertising budget. You didn’t start a Pay-Per-Click campaign or attend an extra two trade shows. All you did was INCREASE YOUR CONVERSION RATE BY 1%.
Here are five ways to use a well thought out conversion strategy to increase your website conversion rate without breaking your marketing budget.
1. Add more educational content to your home page – Most of our clients actually have educational content on their website. The problem is that most website designs don’t have enough content on their home page. You need to have a number of compelling and educational offers right on your home page. Add these to your site and you will see your conversion rate increase immediately.
2. Increase the visibility of the offers on your home page – Visibility is important when it comes to conversions. The two challenges that typically face business owners, CEOs and marketing professionals is design of the CTA (call-to-action) buttons and placement on the home page. While most websites scroll down the page, make sure your conversion buttons are above the fold. With just 10 seconds to get a visitor's attention, you can't count on them scrolling. Make sure your CTA buttons are visually interesting. This ensures that your easily distracted visitors see your offers and click on them.
3. Make sure you have no risk, low risk and direct business offers – Not everyone coming to your site is going to be ready to buy right away. Most business owners and marketing people only focus on attracting these types of leads, but the reality is most people are usually starting their research when they visit your website.
If you don’t have educational content and offers for those people, they are going to leave and you'll never know who they are. Make sure you use content marketing to create offers for everyone. This means providing No Risk Offers like whitepapers or tip guides. Low Risk Offers like webinars, seminars or online assessments. Then consider improving your Direct Business Offers or your Contact Us page with something more prospect-oriented like 10 Blogging Ideas in 10 Minutes or a Free Website Analysis.
4. Use dedicated landing pages where appropriate – Your home page is important but if you use dedicated landing pages for specific campaigns or specific traffic sources, you might be able to increase your conversion rate significantly. Landing pages often deliver conversion rates of 30% to 40% or higher if they are done well.
5. Test different titles – It might take a few tries to get the perfect title for your educational content. Test different titles until you get the conversion rate up. A consistent process that tests variables like titles, buttons, placement and landing page design ensures that you are always moving in the right direction with the performance of your conversion rates.
Improving your conversion rates is one of the best ways to increase the number of leads you get from your website. In addition, this effort doesn’t require a huge investment. It’s about adding content, testing content and tracking the results to see improved performance.
Start Today Tip – It’s simple. Follow the five tips above. Make sure you have enough interesting content on your home page. Make sure the CTA buttons are visually interesting and above the fold. Use the Trio of Offers to engage with as many potential prospects as possible. Track your conversion rate and make weekly improvements until it comes up to around 3% overall for your entire site.
Square 2 Marketing – Leading The Reality Marketing Revolution!
Posted By Author Mike Lieberman, CEO and Chief Revenue Scientist
Mike is the CEO and Chief Revenue Scientist at Square 2. He is passionate about helping people turn their ordinary businesses into businesses people talk about. For more than 25 years, Mike has been working hand-in-hand with CEOs and marketing and sales executives to help them create strategic revenue growth plans, compelling marketing strategies and remarkable sales processes that shorten the sales cycle and increase close rates.