How many whitepapers can you read? How many PowerPoint presentations or eBooks will really grab your attention? Let’s face it, you are competing for eyeballs with your content and the more visually appealing you make it, the more likely people are to download it.
Infographics provide you with the opportunity to tell a complex story in a simple and visually appealing way. If you do it effectively, your content might just go viral. Here are six reasons to consider adding an infographic to your educational content library.
1. It’s going to stand out – Almost everyone practicing inbound marketing has a Free Report or whitepaper on their website. Not everyone has an infographic, so the ability to drive an increase in leads from this type of offer currently exceeds more traditional offers. In addition, the visual nature of this offer makes it highly compelling on your website vs. other more traditional offers.
2. People share it – People love infographics. There are entire websites dedicated to infographics and sharing them. Here is one of our favorites, www.infographicsjournal.com. In fact, it has become something of a cottage industry. We have even started posting our infographics on Square 2 Marketing's Pinterest page. Since our goal is reach, infographics give our efforts a little extra “giddie-up.”
3. It’s easy for people to understand– Most people don’t like to read. As marketers, you try to get around that by keeping content short, informative and accessible. Infographics make understanding complex concepts easier. They don’t require a lot of time and -- since most of the population is made up of visual learners (63%) -- the information is presented in a format that appeals to a majority of your audience.
4. It’s effective at telling a story – People don’t remember details. They remember stories. Infographics are excellent at telling a story. The visual composition, the controlled flow and the images make storytelling with an infographic easier than storytelling with a written document. It might feel as if the opposite is true, but when you look at how the human brain digests and interprets information, images far outperform the written word.
5. It usually outperforms written stuff – Conversion rates are highly variable. But based on our experience, infographic conversions typically run higher than traditional printed offers. In fact, our own infographic conversion rate almost doubles our more traditional content conversion rate. As I said, this isn’t scientific and there are a lot of other variables like title, image, description, copy, etc.
6. You don’t have to be a graphic designer – You don’t have to be a graphic designer to create infographics. There are a number of DIY infographic services and your current marketing partner more than likely has the ability to create an infographic. This should be part of your 2013 plan. Create and distribute the graphic and track its performance against other educational content.
Marketing isn’t an exact science and today the tools are in place to do trials, tests and experiments for short periods of time. This test gives you the data you need to evaluate and improve your company’s specific marketing efforts. Using an infographic to test for improved conversion rates is a great option for early 2013.
Start Today Tip – Your first challenge is going to be deciding what your infographic should be about? Ask yourself or your team, what challenges your prospects face today. Here are a couple of titles from real infographics we have done for real clients.
Infographic – How To Ensure You Get Top Dollar If You’re Selling Your Business. (this includes the steps business owners should consider when prepping their business for a sale.)
Infographic – How To Pick Your Next Accounting Firm (this includes the steps and questions people should be asking before they turn over their tax documents).
It's probably easier than you think to come up with the idea for your infographic. The next step is working on the graphics, images, and presentation of the content. Click on the button below to get a better look at one of our infographics.
Square 2 Marketing – Leading The Reality Marketing Revolution!