Skip to content
Mike Lieberman, CEO and Chief Revenue ScientistFri, Dec 15, 2017 4 min read

5 Reasons Your Prospects Are Throwing Your Emails in the Trash

{}If your email marking efforts don’t seem to be paying off, it’s likely because your emails are winding up in the recipients’ trash. While there are a number of reasons they may find themselves there, some email mistakes are more detrimental than others.

To save your email efforts from meeting their untimely fate, watch out for these five reasons why your emails might be getting tossed.

1. The Subject Line Isn’t Working

When you send an email, the first thing that’s read is the subject line—if it’s not working, there’s a huge chance the recipient will hit “delete” without clicking on it.

A great subject line is necessary to entice prospects to read the rest of your email.

However, writing a subject line that works is easier said than done. Try sparking a sense of curiosity, creating interest through urgency, or telling a cool brand story. Regardless of which route you take, make sure it’s something that makes your audience want to open the email and not toss it in the trash. 

2. The Content Isn’t Relevant 

Knowing your audience inside and out is essential for producing valuable emails that don’t get thrown in the trash. Writing content without knowing what your prospects are trying to gain leads to content that’s irrelevant and disappointing to the recipients.  

Perhaps they opened your email anticipating information they’ll find of value, but they were soon left disheartened when the contents offer no solutions to their problems. Email content should hold value that’s specific to your target buyers and their needs.

Once you have a thorough understanding of who your buyers are and what they want, your emails can begin to cover content they’ll want to engage with, and perhaps revisit time and time again.

3. You’re Selling Too Much

If every email you send feels like an advertisement, your audience is quickly going to know to throw your emails in the trash, or even worse, unsubscribe from your mailing list.

Of course, you’re trying to sell your product or service, but you’re looking to build lasting relationships with your customers first. Follow the 80/20 rule: 80 percent of your emails should be valuable, offer helpful tips, and share free e-books or useful strategies. The other 20 percent can be committed to sales-related content. This simple trick helps ensure your content remains true to your mission while still helping your company make sales, grow revenue, and succeed.  

4. You’re Emailing Too Often

An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but an email a day will definitely keep your customers away. There is such a thing as too many emails, and it might be the reason why your prospects are throwing out your messages.

If you’re wondering what the ideal frequency is, studies have found that 40 percent of American internet users prefer receiving marketing emails once a week. That being said, it’s always wise to send out surveys asking your subscribers what their emailing preferences are.

5. The Content Is Cluttered or Unprofessional

If your emails look messy, scattered, or unprofessional, people may confuse them for spam and send them to the trash bin.

You certainly don’t have to be a perfect designer, but your emails should be clean, easy to read, and professional. It’s also wise to double check all your emails for typos or grammatical errors; otherwise, your readers might think you don’t care enough about them to make the content readable.

If you’re looking for extra ways to impress your audience, try adding photos, videos, or infographics to help break up the information and make it more enjoyable.


Mike Lieberman, CEO and Chief Revenue Scientist

Mike is the CEO and Chief Revenue Scientist at Square 2. He is passionate about helping people turn their ordinary businesses into businesses people talk about. For more than 25 years, Mike has been working hand-in-hand with CEOs and marketing and sales executives to help them create strategic revenue growth plans, compelling marketing strategies and remarkable sales processes that shorten the sales cycle and increase close rates.