While marketing and sales are often at odds on the details, they both have the company’s best interests in mind, even if their approaches are slightly different. Here are 6.5 secret ways marketing can help sales close more business and drive company revenue.
1) Provide sales with the stories to help sales press the “buy button.” Every human being has a buy button. This is the area in our brains that controls flight or fight. To press this button, our sales teams need the stories that emotionally grab our prospects and get them to say yes. People make purchase decisions emotionally and then rationalize them. Stories connect with people, they remember them and they share them. We have been telling each other stories since the caveman. Arm your sales people with remarkable stories about your customers, process, products or services and your sales team will shine.
2) Create a website experience that is personalized, to make visitors feel safe. When new visitors come to your website, they are anxious. After all, they don’t know you and they certainly don’t trust you. Our goal as marketers is to help them know, like and trust you. By personalizing their website experience, they quickly feel connected to your company. They feel as if you want to know them and it makes them safe. Helping them feel safe means it will be easier for your sales teams to press the buy button. Plus, getting to know them helps you personalize ongoing communication so you continue to enforce the positive experience through ongoing marketing campaigns.
3) Automate the lead nurturing process so sales gets the air cover they need. Salespeople are the ground troops in a military operation. They go door-to-door scouting out opportunities and trying to signing new clients. That can be hard work when the prospects don’t know anything about the company. Just like the ground troops have trouble when there is no air cover bombing their target’s location and softening them up for the invasion. The same is true with marketing. Marketing provides the air cover. If prospects are getting information in advance of speaking with a salesperson, they are already on the path to knowing, liking and trusting your company. Automating this air cover with lead nurturing campaigns is great way to provide sales with the air cover they need to be successful.
4) Create enough content so outside “voices” support the decision making process even without your salespeople’s direct involvement. Buyer behavior has so dramatically changed that more than likely your prospects are searching for outside opinions, reviews and perspectives on your solutions. That means we have to provide content and educational materials to these same outside resources. Marketing supports sales by driving these conversations, providing the content to these outside groups, websites, and media outlets. Make sure there are positive reviews on the Internet. Make sure there are positive conversations on LinkedIn, Twitter and other social networking sites.
5) Provide sales with intelligence on prospect experiences with your company, (websites visited, social media profiles, etc.). The tools (HubSpot) are available to support the sales process with intelligence. Now when a prospect completes a form on your website you see their LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook profile. You see what pages of the website they visited, how long they were on the site and what content appealed to them most. This is incredibly important to a salesperson who is trying to gain the trust of a prospective client. If they understand the pain, personality and areas of interest for a prospect before they even start talking with them, they provide a remarkably personal experience for every prospect.
5.5) Work with them, not against them. Create an integrated team where sales and marketing are driving to the same goal, REVENUE! This “extra” secret is really more about an approach than a tip. Sales and marketing have historically been at odds, but going forward we should all work together. Neither can be successful without the other. By working together, meeting together, going to see prospects together, sharing goals together, you will quickly find a new measure of respect that goes both ways and the result will be a company whose REVENUE is growing beyond all of your expectations.
If you want to learn more about how marketing can help sales, click here to download this free e-book, “Fire Your Sales Team Today!” No we don’t mean really fire them, but we do mean help them be more effective and more successful. Check it out!
Square 2 Marketing - Leading the Reality Marketing Revolution!